Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dictionary Necklaces

This Christmas I made several of my gifts again.  For my cousins, my niece, and my sister I made these dictionary necklaces.  I saw the idea first on Pinterest and just made them my own.  It took some time and a little work, but they turned out beautifully!


So I found just about everything from Hobby Lobby - the ribbons, the bezel pendents, the glass that covers them, and the glue.  I found an old dictionary with a font I liked at a used bookstore in town and then got an off-white parchment paper from Office Depot.  I decided to use the paper instead of the just the dictionary pages because I liked the background color better, and the first time I tried gluing the glass down, it made the words from the oppisite side of the page bleed through.

So I bought brass and silver bezels and 1 inch glass ovals to fit in them.  Then I found a word to describe the different people I was making the necklaces for.  After that I copied the words and definitions on regular copy paper.  Then I traced the bezels onto copy paper and then cut up and placed the words and definitions to fit the traced oval.  I glued it into place using tweezers, Elmer's glue, and a lot of patience. When the words looked the way I wanted, I copied them onto the nice parchment paper.  I cut them to fit the necklace and then modge podged it.  **You need to do this so that the glue won't smear the ink.




After the paper ovals were dry I simply put them into the bezel and then painted the glue (I used Amazing E-6000) on top with a cleaned paintbrush.  Make sure the glue completely covers the inside of the bezel.  Then put the glass oval on top and press hard to make sure all bubbles were gone.  Let it dry overnight, then place on the ribbon chains, and you are finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment